标题: 《Milton Inglorious 》作者:- Robert F. Young 【EPUB】 [打印本页]

作者: zaq    时间: 2013-8-12 08:33
标题: 《Milton Inglorious 》作者:- Robert F. Young 【EPUB】
Young is back with a powerful and moving story which is the biography of one WillBrown. who was — in the words of his omnipresent biographer — a sad mortal with the soul of apoet and the calloused palms of a day laborer ... Milton Inglorious by ROBERT F. YOUNG Schmaley the little town where Will Brown was born had as its economic nucleus an industrialinstitution known to the townsfolk as quotThe Shop.quot In its front office Wills father worked as bookkeeperfor the handsome in those days sum of 31.75 per week and every Christmas he received from Mr.Howis the President and General Manager a crisp new 10 bill. Wills father the townsfolk frequentlysaid had it made. But enough of Wills father: this is the Biography of Will. It can be argued perhaps that it is notwithin my province to write it but it cannot be argued that I am not qualified to do so. I was present athis birth it was dawn: I heard his first shrill scream. Thereafter I observed him all his life. When he was ten his mother noticed what long fingers he had and decided he should become apianist. So he began taking lessons from Miss Horliss an old-maid music teacher with a tic in her left eye.Every Saturday afternoon she came to the house where Will lived and sat beside him on the piano benchfor one solid hour and listened to him play Czerny on the upright piano his mother had talked his fatherinto buying and for one solid hour she carped and carped and carped. Maybe if she hadnt carped somuch Will would have gone on to become a famous virtuoso although this is doubtful. As matters turnedout he told his mother after three miserable months that he wanted to quit. He was astonished when shedismissed Miss Horliss the very next Saturday. Will didnt understand his mother very well as a matter offact he didnt understand her at all. His earlier pianistic endeavors had repeatedly conjured up in hermind a thrilling vision in which she saw herself sitting at a massive grand piano in a huge concert hallholding her long fingers aloft for a suspenseful moment and then bringing them down upon the gleamingkeyboard and sending series upon series of

欢迎光临 (http://ftp.zasq.com/) Powered by Discuz! X3.2