收起左侧

[英文] 《His Own Petard 》作者:- Spider Robinson【EPUB】

[复制链接]

管理员 - 管理勋章超级版主 - 超级版主版主勋章 - 版主勋章

灰铜v1_03紫银v2_02绿金v1_01灰金v1_05绿银v1_01绿铜v3_01灵晶土豪紫铜v1_04紫铜v3_01

跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2013-5-2 19:45 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |正序浏览 |阅读模式
HIS OWN PETARD Steven can you come over right away Anns uncharacteristically flat hollow voiceasked. Some people find it odd that a science fiction writer in this day and age shouldchoose to live without a modem a pager or a fax machine. Im of the opinion thatmodern technology has made it too easy for people to get in touch with each other. Iconcentrate for a living or rather I try my damnedest. But you have to have aphone—at least if you want to make a living. Damn it. Well thats why God made answering machines. It was a cold night outside and I had beenhard at work when the phone rang. Ann was a friend: she knew I often turned offthe speaker on the machine so I could concentrate on writing with-out interruption.She was a friend: she wouldnt be too disappointed if I didnt pick up the call. She was a good friend and she sounded like she needed help badly ... I hesitated with myhand an inch from the phone thinking that the definition of friend should be someone you dont have to make excuses to. Rubins dead her voice said. I was there. Well that would have been more than enough to fetch me—at any time of day or nightin any weather. But then she clinched it ... by bursting into tears. I picked up the handsetsaid Fifteen min-utes and hung up. Well I said to my wife as I pulled on my shoes that was the most amazing call of themonth. Who was it Mariko asked obligingly. A good straight man is welcome when yourein a hurry. Ann. She says Rubin is down. Her jaw dropped. Billy Rubin Dead Brown bread I agreed. She says she saw it happen. Wow. That is amazing. I shook my head. Thats not the amazing part. Get this: she didnt sound happy about it. I left Mariko looking as puzzled as I was and drove to Anns place. Ann is a science fiction writer too just starting out. Tall willowy blondepleasant-faced and good-natured in her late twenties. Shes had a few short storiesin small-press anthologies and fanzines one real sale to Analog and has had a novelostensibly sold to Charnel House for the last eighteen months although they stillhavent given her a firm pub date yet. Shes pretty good—good enough that if shehas incredible luck
插件设计:zasq.net

本帖子中包含更多资源

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?立即注册

x
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

QQ|Archiver|手机版|小黑屋| ( Q群816270601 )

GMT+8, 2024-10-12 13:25 , Processed in 1.032806 second(s), 50 queries .